Friday 15 January 2010

Just when I thought I was pretty much all settled...

What a week!

Coming into Ecuador, I was totally confident in all of my classes. I pretty much ignored almost every thing that U of I explained to us about switching classes because I figured that I would love all of mine. Wrong.

Today (friday) is the last day to switch classes here and I´ve been in and out of different classes all week!! I switched around ALL of my classes except french (cuz its super easy and i love it) and advanced spanish conversation (because i wanted to drop to intermediate conversation but it conflicted with french, and theres noooo way im giving up that class so i guess ill just have to step my conversation game up.)

My New Classes:
  • Temas de Latinoamerica or ¨Latin American Themes¨ ( a political science class which a bunch of international students are in. I plan to use this as an area study for my major)
  • Cultura Ecuadoriana (a Spanish conversation class that focuses on Ecuadorian Culture. I also plan to use this as an area study for my major. I was almost kicked out of this class because even though i was able to sign up for it online, the professor decided that she wanted a smaller class and since i was the last one to sign up, she initially told me that i couldn´t come back. luckly she opened up an earlier section and i get to stay in the one i chose, yay!!)
  • Norte y Sur: Procesos de Colonialismo or ¨North and South: Processes in Colonialism¨ (which i also plan to use as an area study as it juxtaposes colonialism in Latin America and in the US)
Taking classes in Spanish is no joke. For anyone reading this who is planning to study abroad and will take classes in the language, I would suggest:
  1. Start reading books, novels, and newspapers in the language. Everyday. Listening to conversation isnt so hard and speaking isnt too bad either but the vocabulary used in written language is something one needs to get used to.
  2. BUY AN ELECTRONIC DICTIONARY! I have one and its probably the smartest decision I´ve made in awhile. I bought an electronic spanish english dictionary on ebay for about 30 bux and it was totally worth it! Not only is it a spanish english dictionary but its also a regular english dictionary (because sometimes I look up words in Spanish only to realize that I dont know them in English lol), a conjugator, a phrase book, and it has grammar games too. its a great investment.
So basically, my week was hectic because I kept switching around my classes. Not to sound like a slacker but I came to Ecuador to explore and have fun, not to sit in my room every weekend and do homework like I do at U of I. So I hope that my new classes are less time consuming.

This weekend my group is going to Otavalo (click it!!) and I´m so excited!! Basically its an indigenous town with a huge market, and I plan on buying lots!!

So in terms of adjusting, I´m still in the process. The altitude is still a bit difficult in the mornings and as I´m walking around for awhile, but I think its getting better. I haven´t gotten sick or robbed and I pray to God that it stays this way!!

In terms of life outside of school, today I start my volunteer project. I will be teaching a beginners english class to students in my village every monday, wednesday, and friday. Ive met alot of the kids already and their really sweet but super wild, so Im sure Ill have lots of stories to tell. I also signed up to be a conversation partner with an indigenous student at my university, meaning that they will help me with my spanish and i will help them with their english. i cant wait to use this experience to learn more about the culture and things to do in ecuador besides going clubbing (which i still havent done yet, because no matter what country i go to i dont think itll really be my thing. but ill be sure to check it out soon.)

Long story short, I´m still doing well. Safe and sound and trying to get adjusted and organized still. With my classes all settled my next goal will to create a relatively strict weekly schedule and budget. One I have everything in order, Ill be completely relaxed.

A couple weeks ago I posted my goals for the next two weeks. They were:

  • learn my way around lumbisí and be able to go shopping there. (ACCOMPLISHED)
  • feel comfortable on the bus (ACCOMPLISHED)
  • learn my way around this crazy universidad (ACCOMPLISHED)
  • keep God at the center of this trip! (ACCOMPLISHED, so far)
So for the next couple weeks:
  • Spend a day/night in Quito with new friends.
  • Create a weekly schedule and budget.
  • do at least one unplanned thing per week (as I am a huge schedule FREAK and am very bad at being spontaneous!)
  • Bring my laptop to school so i can set up wireless so i can finally start skyping!
  • continue to keep God at the center of this trip.
Adios!!

No comments:

Post a Comment