Thursday 28 January 2010

Campus Life at USFQ

This post is probably a "part 1" to many posts regarding this campus.

  • Eventually I will need to take pictures, because this place is nuts. As my friend Sara described it, it literally resembles a country club. The school is about 20 years old and its a private school so everything is relatively new and super pretty. Palm trees and such everywhere.
  • The buildings don't make much sense. They're all kinda interconnected and some of them (i.e. "Newton"!!!) don't have theyre own door. Basically you have to enter through another building and look at the signs on each door to see where one building stops and another one starts. Very confusing.
  • The students here are RICH! Most of them at least. I feel like I'm in an episode of "The Hills" with everyone walking around with theyre Ray Ban glasses and $1000 phones (yes, one thousand dollar cell phones). They're usually super dressed up and aren't always the nicest people. So far I haven't made any Ecuadorian friends here, but one of my friends made a good point: oftentimes we international students walk around in big groups and speak English with each other, so from the Ecuadorian perspective we probably dont look too welcoming. With that in mind, I try to speak spanish more to international students, even if it is sooooo much easier to say something in english.
  • Despite my lack of ecuadorian friends, I met this one girl at the bookstore. She ended up being in my political science and shes super nice! When she realized that i was at the bookstore completely lost, she asked me what I was looking for and helped me look around for it. When we couldnt find it, she asked around for me. Shes really one of the nicest people that ive met here, but i still dont know her name! Everytime she seems me she comes and talks to me though, so perhaps we'll end up being friends.
  • Teachers are kind of disorganized here. For example, the last day of signing up for classes I signed up for a class called "Introduction to Ecuadorian Culture." There was one more space left online, so i registered for the class. I got to the class only for the teacher to tell me that although there was space left online, she decided last minute that she wanted a smaller class. so if she couldnt open up another section of the course, I'd be kicked out of the class. LUCKLY she was able to open up another section of the class because if not, I would have been kicked out of the class for a stupid reason, being left with only 12 hours because it was the last day or registration. VERY BAD!
But overall, I've adjusted to the school fairly well. I no longer get lost, which is nice. Also, I FINALLY registered my computer with the school so i can use the wireless (as im doing now)

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment